Thursday, May 1, 2008

Full Contact Commuting

I won't bother you with the details but I had nice little encounter with the side of a car on my way home today (yes, I was wearing a helmet). The girl turned into a parking lot with no signal while I was coming up the bike lane. Luckily I just bounced off the side of her car and lost control of the bike. I used my body to slow down after hitting the pavement and ended up with some nice road rash on my left arm and leg. I couldn't bring myself to get mad at the girl she parked the car and came running up literally offering to buy me a new bike! She was crying and kept apologizing offering to give me her info so she could pay for any damages. The Bridgestone appears to be ok except for the trashed bar tape. What made the situation worse was that she was carrying flowers on her way into the hospital! You just can't get angry at somebody in that situation. Oh well, I rode away; slowly. Now that I'm home and washed out the cuts the adrenaline is starting to wear off and its all starting to really hurt! Worst part is that it's a gorgeous day outside and I had a bunch of stuff planned. So much for a day off!

6 comments:

John Bowers said...

Well that just sucks. You should have laid there and played dead... Maybe she would have just left the flowers.

julie said...

glad you're ok! but i can't believe you said no to a new bike...

Celia said...

Helmets are good...glad you are okay.

trim w/ hate; ease w/ love said...

yeah dude, glad you're fine. it's getting bad out there. scary.

REALLY check stuff over before you ride the bike more. last time i got hit i did the oppisite of you; got real mad, then rode off. two days later my front hub flange imploded...

Helge said...

Agree with Julie, you should at least have gone for a new bike with plenty of bells and whistles!

Doctor Who said...

Glad to hear that my little apple dumplin' ain't hurt too badly. Be careful out there!