Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Its Alive!! Sort of.


After three years of tooling around with the Triumph I finally got it started yesterday! Not before a week of head scratching trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire. Turns out I was timing the magneto on the exhaust stroke and not the intake stroke. Stupid. So....after getting it started a couple times and checking all the lights I decided to put it in gear and check the clutch. Bad idea. Something went "boom" and now it won't shift into 1st, 2nd or neutral. I've decided to take today off from the shop and reassess the situation. I've almost reached the end of my patience with this transmission. I have now stripped and rebuilt it 5 times, and I think I might cry if I have to do it again. I'm at the point where I'd rather pay somebody to just do it right. Oh, wait. I already did that and it got me nowhere! But seriously I think I'm going to have somebody with more experience take care of the tranny. Say what you will about the British, but they should never be allowed to engineer anything. I've never seen a trans with so much slop and free play in it and one of the most ridiculous selecting mechanism. That being said the bike idles nicely and the mag is putting out a fat spark. Hopefully I'll have this little road bump fixed soon and I can road test it. So much for finishing this bike for the Mods Vs. Rockers Rally.



On the cycling front I screwed up big time. I was really looking forward to racing this weekend at the Subaru Cup, but it is not to be. With this event being so big they race on both Saturday and Sunday. Me being a little scatter brained requested Sunday off, not Saturday the day of the XC race. And like Mike put it "I'm not driving 4 hours to race a 30 minute short track race".

Sorry about the bad photos, the shop has very bad lighting and its even worse with the flash. Mental note: a tripod would help next time.

4 comments:

Pablo C said...

I called the shop today.... still not done :-(

Ben said...

there is often a bike that looks very similar to yours at the Continental on California and Chicago. When I ride by it all I can think about is how bad ass your bike is.

Doctor Who said...

Looks like a hot ride. Give me a holler sometime – we've not hung out in a while!

Hugh Simms said...

Now that Jesse James has gone reality TV sellout it's goods to see you're holding the hardcore fort down. Don't get me wrong he is super talented but I love the grass roots and your passion. Dig!